Autumn Full Governing Body

Nevill Road Infant School

NEVILL ROAD INFANT SCHOOL GOVERNING BOARD MINUTES
AUTUMN TERM 2016
Date: 17th November
Time: 6 pm
Venue: The School
GOVERNORS PRESENT
Mrs M Joyce (Chairperson), Mrs A Marshall (Headteacher), Mrs M Robinson, Mrs E Duckworth, Mrs J Garnett, Ms V North, Ms C Wilke, Ms B Tulloch, Ms J Webster
IN ATTENDANCE
Mrs P Spencer Deputy Headteacher
Mrs C Davies Governor Support Officer
1. WELCOME AND APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Governors were welcomed to the meeting. Apologies for absence were received and accepted from Mr M Khalid. Apologies were also received from Mr D Singh and after a short discussion as to Mr Singh’s attendance record governors AGREED to not accept his apologies. Mrs M Robinson informed the meeting she would be leaving at 7pm.
2. ELECTION OF CHAIRPERSON
It was noted that Mrs M Joyce had declared an interest in the position of Chairperson prior to the meeting. Additional nominations or expressions of interest were invited; there were no further candidates.
It was proposed by Ms V North, seconded by Mrs M Robinson and unanimously RESOLVED that Mrs M Joyce be elected Chairperson for the agreed term.
Mrs M Joyce in the Chair.
CONSIDERATION OF VACANCIES
Governors noted and discussed the individual merits of Mr Jason Smith, prospective candidate for co-option to the one vacancy on the Governing Board. The Chairperson reported to governors that Mr Smith was unable to attend the meeting but had confirmed to her his wish to be considered for co-option to the governing board.
A vote was taken and it was duly RESOLVED that Mr J Smith be appointed to the governing board for a four year term of office with effect from 17th November 2016.
ELECTION OF VICE-CHAIRPERSON
The Chairperson reported to governors that Mr J Smith had declared an interest in the position of Vice-Chairperson prior to the meeting. Additional nominations or expressions of interest were invited; there were no further candidates.
It was proposed by Mrs M Joyce, seconded by Mrs J Webster and unanimously RESOLVED that Mr J Smith be elected Vice-Chairperson for the agreed term.
3. DECLARATION OF INTERESTS
a) Declaration of Interests in Any Agenda Items
Nevill Road Infant School
2
Governors were asked to declare any personal, business or financial interest in any agenda items; no declarations were made.
Governors were reminded that they should declare any interest which arose during the meeting.
b) Signing of Business Interest Form
Governors were requested to complete and sign the previously circulated declaration forms and return them to the Headteacher for retention in school.
c) DBS Checks
The Headteacher confirmed that DBS checks were in place for all governors, with the exception of one governor whose application had been submitted but the certificate had not yet been received.
4. BUSINESS
a) Discussion and Review of Committee Membership, Appointment of Linked Governors, Remits
Governors discussed and reviewed committee membership and linked governors as per Appendix 1.
It was noted that the remit of the Finance and Premises committee had been reviewed and amended at its last meeting with a copy provided to the Clerk. It was suggested that the Pupil Progress committee should consider and review its remits and terms of reference at its next meeting. The Clerk should then be advised of any amendments and an updated copy sent to the Clerk for information. ACTION
b) Election of Committee Chairpersons
The Chairperson informed the meeting that Mr M Khalid had expressed an interest in the position of Chairperson of the Finance and Premises committee. Governors unanimously RESOLVED that Mr M Khalid be elected Chairperson of the Finance and Premises committee for the agreed term.
Governors unanimously RESOLVED that Mrs E Duckworth be elected Chairperson of the Curriculum committee for the agreed term.
c) Review of Policies
The Chairperson informed governors it had been agreed at the Pupil Progress committee had that she and the Headteacher would consider the existing policy portfolio and produce a timetable of review for the Policy Review Sub-Group. ACTION
d) Review of Open Government
Governors resolved that they would continue to adopt the Open Government policy; Governing Board meetings would be open to the public, subject to the exclusion of observers for confidential items.
e) Review of Governing Board Code of Conduct
Nevill Road Infant School
3
Governors were referred to the previously circulated document and it was AGREED that the new Governing Board Code of Conduct 2016 would be adopted.
f) Approval/Ratification of Safeguarding Policy
The updated safeguarding policy, which had been circulated prior to the meeting, was duly APPROVED by the governing board. The Headteacher confirmed that the LA’s model policy had been used.
g) Approval/Ratification of the Pay Policy
The Chairperson confirmed that a detailed and minuted consultation upon the 2016 pay policy had been held with school staff and/or their union representatives.
The pay policy had been approved by the Finance and Premises committee and was presented for ratification. The policy was duly RATIFIED by the governing board.
h) Virtual Attendance Policy
The new virtual attendance policy, which had been circulated prior to the meeting and had been considered in detail at the Finance and Premises committee meeting, was duly APPROVED by the governing board.
i) Previous Governing Board Minutes
RESOLVED – that the minutes of the meeting held on 30th June, copies circulated previously, be approved and signed by the Chairperson and authorised for publication.
j) Matters Arising from Previous Governing Board Minutes
There were no further matters arising.
k) Action Points from Previous Governing Board Minutes
The actions raised at the summer term meeting were duly reviewed as follows:
MINUTE
POINT
ACTION REQUIRED
ACTION FOR
UPDATE
3e
Amendment to the minutes of the PP committee
Clerk
Completed
3f
Discuss Critical Incidents Guidance with Miss Harrison and make any necessary amendments
Headteacher
Postponed (see item 11e below). The Headteacher confirmed she would attend training on this next week.
3f
Write on behalf of governing board to DEFRA re: water and sewerage charges
M Joyce
Completed—response received. Mrs Robinson confirmed the matter had been raised in Parliament
Nevill Road Infant School
4
l) Committee Minutes
It was resolved that the minutes of the following meetings:
 Finance and Premises on 13th October
copies circulated previously, be approved and signed by the Chairperson and authorised for publication.
m) Matters Arising from Previous Committee Meetings
There were no further matters arising.
n) Action Points from Committee Meetings
No actions were raised.
5. RESOURCES
a) Budget Update
The Headteacher directed governors to the budget summary written by the School Business Manager after a recent meeting with a finance officer from the LA. The Headteacher asked governors to note the drop of £60,000 in predicted income from the Stay and Play Club due to lower numbers of children attending. A governor asked if the facility was being publicised. The Headteacher confirmed that marketing efforts had been increased and that the impact of this was being seen in new attendees.
The Headteacher reported that the end of year surplus to carry forward was approximately £68,000 which kept the school in a good financial position. Governors discussed the continued impact on the budget of the takeover of the Stay and Play Club, the likely effects of the introduction of the 30 hours/week of free early education, plus the current and future class sizes.
Governors discussed the Budget Monitoring Report including the highlighted areas where savings might be made before the end of the financial year. The Chairperson reported that she had written to the school’s eco-councillors regarding energy wastage as the school’s high spend on energy had been highlighted in the recent benchmarking exercise.
and would be again in the future.
4a
Write letters of thanks to the retiring TA’s
M Joyce
Completed
6a
Circulate the draft of the new SDP to governors
Headteacher
See below—to be circulated by the Clerk once received from the HT.
7h
Have Governor Hub passwords resent as necessary
Clerk
Completed
Nevill Road Infant School
5
No questions were raised by governors on the budget. It was noted that the Resources Committee had considered and agreed the budget.
b) Approval of School Fund Audit/Audit Arrangements
The Chairperson confirmed that the audit arrangements were unchanged and that Debbie Blackburn had completed the audit. The School Fund had a balance brought forward this year of £2,667, a figure which had stayed roughly the same. A governor asked for an explanation of the School Fund’s purpose. The Headteacher explained that it related to money received and spent which was outside of the funds received from the LA, such school clubs, trips, sports, charity fundraising, building lettings and school photos. The vast majority of fundraising was handled via the Friends PTA group. Governors discussed the difficulties presented by the school selling uniform directly and the problems encountered recently by parents who had bought uniform from Tesco. Davensports were now the school’s uniform provider.
6. HEADTEACHER’S TERMLY REPORT
a) Questions and Discussion
The Headteacher’s Report had been circulated to the governors prior to the meeting and questions were invited.
The Headteacher confirmed that the complete RAISE Online pack would be circulated at a later date and governors were given copies of the data pack that had been discussed at the Pupil Progress committee. The Headteacher explained that the EYFS results were excellent; however, the curriculum for KS1 did not match exactly the EYFS curriculum. The KS1 results were not as strong as those in EYFS. Efforts had been focused on ensuring those pupils who were predicted to achieve the expected level of progress made that level, rather than focusing on those working at a greater depth.
The Headteacher reported that the school believed its approach and judgments last year were sound but that this year a greater focus would be on those pupils who were able to work at a greater depth, as the current Y2 cohort had been high achievers upon entry.
A governor asked if the results were a reflection of the children’s progress or of the assessment methods used. The Headteacher reminded governors that every school would be judged on the same basis and the same formula applied.
A governor asked how the stories behind the data (i.e. of why individual pupils had not attained as expected) would be reflected in future actions. The Headteacher confirmed this and explained that these results had fed into the SDP and informed the school’s decision to focus on language acquisition as a priority.
A governor enquired as the reasons behind the -2 and -1 figures in the emerging column for Reading. The Headteacher explained that given the effort put into ensuring all children reached the expected level, those results could be explained by barriers to learning specific to the individual children.
Mrs M Robinson left the meeting at 7pm
The Headteacher reported to governors she was confident that children in every classroom were being challenged within their year group expectations. A governor asked if the school could say that it had held a rigorous standard; the Headteacher confirmed this was the case and that the validity of the staff’s judgment was sound and consistent. The Headteacher emphasised to governors that in the event of an Ofsted inspection they would need to know where the school stands now and to be knowledgeable about the data.
Nevill Road Infant School
6
The Headteacher explained to governors the reasons behind the spending on converting the PPA room into a designated space for interventions, and particularly for the benefit of Pupil Premium children in order to improve the impact of their interventions.
The Headteacher reported that overall attendance last year was approximately 96%, though the figure for Pupil Premium children was lower. It was reported that most of those with a poor attendance record had reasons to explain this.
Governors inspected and praised the new spray painting artwork in the corridors.
The Headteacher was thanked for her report and there not being any further questions it was RESOLVED that the Headteacher’s report be received.
7. STANDING ITEMS
a) School Improvement Plan (SIP)/ School Development Plan (SDP) Update
The Headteacher distributed an overview of the SDP’s objectives, which consisted of seven areas of focus and which tried to balance the push in the curriculum towards focusing solely on literacy and numeracy. She explained how the Iris system aids good practice.
The Headteacher agreed to forward the latest version of the SDP to the Clerk for distribution among governors. ACTION
Governors were then referred to the relevant sections within the Headteacher’s report and noted that the school was working towards meeting the objectives set.
b) Appraisal and Pay Update
Governors were advised that a meeting had been arranged for this term to set the Headteacher’s performance targets.
AND
The Headteacher updated governors on the appraisal cycle and asked that they noted the progress in school. Governors were advised that, following the ratification of the 2016 pay policy (item 4g), review meetings could now be scheduled with school staff to determine whether or not targets had been met. New targets for teaching staff would also be agreed and these would be monitored throughout the rest of the academic year.
c) Report on Racist, Bullying or Homophobic Incidents
The Headteacher reported that there had not been any racist incidents in school during the summer term.
The Clerk provided a nil return form, which was completed and signed by the Headteacher and Chairperson; the Clerk then undertook to return the form to the appropriate section within Services to People.
ALSO
The Headteacher reported that there had not been any incidents of bullying or homophobic behaviour during the summer term.
d) Report on Physical Incidents
Nevill Road Infant School
7
The Headteacher reported that there had been no incidents during the summer term where the use of physical intervention procedures had been necessary.
e) Young Carers Update
Governors were informed of a potential referral.
f) Stage on the L.A. School Protocol and School Improvement Adviser’s Annual Report
The Headteacher reported this was Green and had been updated following receipt of the RAISE Online data. A governor asked if an Ofsted inspector would expect to meet governors during a visit; this was confirmed.
8. GOVERNOR DEVELOPMENT
a) Governing Board Development Plan
The Clerk was asked to upload the NGA Skills Audit form to Governor Hub. Governors were asked to complete the audit form and to return this to the Development Governor directly. ACTION
Mrs Duckworth was asked to upload the Governor Development Plan to Governor Hub in order for the Development Governor to review. ACTION
b) Induction Plan and Process
c) Succession Planning
d) Training Feedback
Governors were made aware that training courses should now be booked via the GovernorHub website. The website would retain records of training sessions attended by individual governors and provide a comprehensive view of training undertaken by the governing board.
9. BRIEFING PAPERS FROM STOCKPORT LOCAL AUTHORITY
a) Schools’ Finance Update
The second stage of consultation for Schools and Higher Needs funding is expected to be released before the end of the autumn term.
b) Changes to School and College Accountability Measures
c) SEND Area Inspections
d) The Apprenticeship Levy
The guidance was noted.
e) Safeguarding
The governing board must ensure that the school’s safeguarding arrangements take into account the procedures and practice of the L.A. as part of the inter-agency safeguarding procedures set up by the Local Safeguarding Children Board. ACTION
Nevill Road Infant School
8
The governing board and Headteacher noted the requirement to ensure that school staff have read and understood Part One of the document Keeping Children Safe in Education.
ACTION
f) Early Years Update – Extended Entitlement to Childcare
g) Early Years Update – Paediatric First Aid
The guidance was noted.
h) Advisory Group on Governance (AGOG) – Reducing Teacher Workload
Recommendations for the governing board regarding Marking, Planning & Resources and Data Management from the Department for Education’s AGOG Group were highlighted. Governors were encouraged to consider the implementation of the recommendations and feedback progress to the Workload Solutions Team. It was noted that this had been discussed at the Pupil Progress committee.
i) Governance – Confidentiality
Governors were reminded that all documents must be redacted before being uploaded to GovernorHub.
10. DATES
a) Full Governing Board
9th March at 2pm (the Open Day starts at 1pm)
6th July at 6pm
b) Committee Meetings
Finance and Premises:-
2nd February and 18th May
Pupil Progress:-
9th February 5.30pm and 15th June
11. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
a) Sharing Email Addresses – GOVAS
The Clerk explained that the annual request to share their email information was made to ensure that GOVAS had up to date records; this information would not be used or shared outside GOVAS.
Governors duly AGREED the request to pass email information to GOVAS.
b) Sharing Email Addresses – NGA
The Clerk explained that as part of the Local Authority’s standard membership package with the NGA, all governors were entitled to receive weekly e-newsletters; three nominated
Nevill Road Infant School
9
governors would also receive the bi-monthly Governing Matters magazine by post. It was confirmed that personal information would not be used or shared outside the NGA.
Governors duly AGREED the request to pass contact details to the NGA.
c) Sharing Contact Details – GovernorHub
Governors AGREED to their contact details being uploaded to the GovernorHub site, visible only to other members of the governing board. It was noted that no personal contact details would be uploaded for staff members on the governing board.
d) End of Terms of Office
It was noted that no terms of office are due to end before 31st December.
e) AOCB
The Chairperson read out a letter received from the Chair of the Nevill Road Junior School Governing Board regarding the departure of that school’s Headteacher and the possibility of the two schools considering an amalgamation. The Chairperson confirmed that she and the Headteacher had met briefly with the NRJ Chair. Governors discussed whether more information should be obtained on this suggestion. A governor asked what the likely impact would be on results of an amalgamation. The Headteacher replied that this could not be predicted but that merged schools often went initially into the Requires Improvement category.
The Chairperson stated that theirs was a very successful infant school, due to the hard work of the Headteacher and staff, and that the best outcomes for the children had to be the first priority in any discussions. The Headteacher commented that an amalgamated school would have approximately 800 pupils from age 2 to 11, a prospect which presented large challenges but also the opportunity to have a significant impact.
Governors AGREED that the Chairperson should contact the Chair at NRJ to confirm that they were happy to find out more information, as proposed in his recent letter. ACTION
A governor asked what the feeling of staff in this school was towards the prospect of these discussions. The Chairperson confirmed that staff would be consulted. ACTION
With no further business to discuss, the Chairperson thanked everyone for attending and the meeting closed at 8.05pm.
Nevill Road Infant School
10
NEVILL ROAD INFANT SCHOOL
AUTUMN TERM 2016 GOVERNING BOARD MINUTES
MEETING ACTION POINTS
MINUTE
POINT
ACTION REQUIRED
ACTION FOR
DATE ACTION TO BE COMPLETED
4a
Consider committee remit and inform Clerk of any changes
PP Chair
Spring term meeting
4c
Consider policy portfolio and produce timetable of review
Chair and HT
Post meeting
7a
Send new SDP to Clerk for distribution to governors
HT
Post meeting
8a
Upload NGA Skills Audit
Clerk
Post meeting
8a
Complete NGA Skills Audit and return to B Tulloch
Governors
Post meeting
8a
Upload Governor Development Plan
E Duckworth
Post meeting
9e
Ensure that the school’s safeguarding arrangements take into account the procedures and practice of the L.A. as part of the inter-agency safeguarding procedures set up by the Local Safeguarding Children Board.
Headteacher
Post meeting
9e
Note the requirement to ensure that school staff have read and understood Part One of the document Keeping Children Safe in Education
Chair and Headteacher
Post meeting
11e
Contact the Chair at NRJ regarding fact-finding about amalgamation
Chair
Post meeting
11e
Ensure staff are consulted as to discussions
Chair and Headteacher
Post meeting

Together Everyone Achieves More

Student Login

STAFF LOGIN
PARENT LOGIN
SCHOOL BLOGS